Hmm.
So you have a dual-homed proxy server with an external ip address bound to
one card and an internal ip address bound to another card.

Your MX record is pointing to your Proxy Server but you do not have an SMTP
relay or Exchange running an Internet Mail Connector to forward mail to your
internal server.

Your using an internal address for your Exchange server:
"I rebuilt this box and called it the same name.  I then used 10.0.0.12 for
an ip address.  I have since changed it to 10.0.0.11 which is the other ip
address.  Still no mail."

This ip address must be set to what it was before?  Do we have that
information?  Obviously if this box has an internal ip address only and is
not dual-homed then you are recieving your smtp mail from another box -
hence, again...the proxy server somehow is providing this function.  The
only situation I could see where it was not is IF you have a firewall
providing port forwarding services...We have determined that this is not the
case because the IP address (according to you) is hard bound to the external
interface of the proxy server.  If the proxy server was forwarding smtp
traffic then setting up your mail server with the EXACT same address as
before is a MUST.  Then configure your Internet Mail Connector under the
Connections Tab in Exchange Administrator to "Forward all messages to host"
(Proxy Server).  And set the routing tab to "Reroute incomming SMTP traffic"
for (yourdomain.com).