Hi guys,

I have a rather odd query and the idea of posting it is so that I can
eliminate Exchange from the equation.  I have a customer who cannot read
attachments i.e .doc and .pdf when they are sent to a largish distribtion
list.  The message given is

"This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not
understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible" and the
attachment is unreadable.

The customer is hit with 3 large distribution lists from 3 seperate
companies and therefore it leads me to the conclusion that the problem is
more likely to be at their site.  If a word of PDF document is sent
directly to the customer ie. not on a mailing list then there are no
issues.

The customer is using Exchange 5.5 SP3 and is using Outlook 97 on the
client side.  In addtion, mail is being virus checked via Mail Sweeper
v4.2_5 and mail also goes through a SMTP resource on Checkpoint FW-1.

I have ran this through Baltimore regretably to no avail.  There is no
blocking or anything done on mailsweeper, just virus scanning.

Personally, I can't think of any reason why this would be exchange, but
nobody can remember when this problem started occuring.  Guess what, we
have had a new exchange server, new firewall and new mailsweeper box all
within the last 3 months.

If anybody has come across this before or could shed some light on it, I'd
be grateful.

Cheers.

Paul