From: Olds, Dominic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 1:18 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Server memory?

Does anyone have an idea of miminum memory requirements for exchange servers
based on number of mailboxes etc? I have read the paper from M$ on this and
can only find reference to monitoring swapfile usage.
I only have one server now (5.5 sp4 on win2K) but we have just taken over
another company thus giving me an extra 200 mailboxes. My server is a HP
dual Xeon 700, 1 gig of RAM and plenty of disk (90 gig on raid 5) SHould
this cope OK with 6 or 7 hunderd users or should I get another server to
remove some of the load? Ideally, if I can make this one box do it all
(except IMS which is relayed from an IIS machine in the DMZ) I would prefer
this option even if it means adding memory. Is there a "rule of thumb
amount" of memory per mailbox i should be looking to have? Thanks Dominic.