From: Michel, David [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 10:40 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Win2k backup and Exchange

As much as I appreciate multiple links and sarcastic comments, I do not see
anywhere in the whitepaper from either 5.5 or 2000 on how you can roll logs
forward IF THE LOGS AREN'T THERE...  Have you ever heard of a full system
crash?  Although I admit it is much less likely than any other type of
failure it is still possible to lose the entire server, isn't it?  And if it
is, the logs you are so fond of referring to will be about as useful as your
sarcasm.  If you ever have the misfortune to work for lawyers you will find
that there are certain things you do and deal with and a full system daily
backup which is as up-to-date as possible is an absolute requirement.  That
is the reason that I am asking and why I feel my use of differentials is
"warranted".  If I am not mistaken, a tape of any sort is only going to be
as useful as the last information written to it if that is the only source
of data, is it not?  Therefore, a full server crash in the late afternoon
with only last night's full backup leaves you SOL for almost a full day's
work.

However, if I am incorrect in my assumption that a tape which contains a
full backup along with differential backups will allow me to rebuild my
server completely and restore it to the point of the last differential then
I would honestly be interested in hearing why. Furthermore, if there is a
way to restore and roll the logs should the server that the logs were on be
completely dead using just a full backup from the night before than I
retract all sarcasm on my part and look forward to hearing how that process
would work.