Tony Redmond's excellent Exchange 5.5 book covers both well.

MS Press also released a connectors book years ago, called funny enough
"Exchange Connectivity Guide" that covers the IMC, MSMail and X.400
connectors. Of course, I believe it was written late 4.0/early 5.0
timeframe. Of course, X.400 hasn't changed much in there.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Senior Systems Administrator
Peregrine Systems
Atlanta, GA