The point Lori makes is important!

First, you need to have a company policy, and make sure that it is well
known.  Also, you need to know what the privacy laws are in every
jurisdiction that applies.  Some of these may run counter to your policy,
and it is the law that will take precedence, obviously.

Most companies start with the premise that the data content of their IS
infrastructure is something that they own and can control.  Of course, this
assertion implies liability for problems that might arise from that content,
which they probably would not like to accept.  You can't have it both ways.

You may recall this case:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/zdnn/0507/zdnn0015.html  Wang's mail was
in an ISP's mail service paid for by Borland and use as though it was
Borland's internal system, but was not under Borland's control, let alone
ownership.  So there was no way for Borland to demonstrate that their rights
had been violated, since they didn't own the system involved.  The question
as to whether or not the result would have been different had the mail
system in question been Borland's own internal system remains unanswered, at
least in California, but one suspects that Borland might have prevailed in
that case and that the charges might not have been dropped, but that is
speculation, not fact.

There is one other aspect to keep in mind, your behavior can modify your
written policy.  Let say that you have a policy that flat out states that
the mail system is your company's property and that you have the right to
audit its contents.  Let's further assume that you have the local legal
authority to do make it stick.  Then you bring in a supplier to work on your
premises and provide messaging services to them, and you treat their mail as
confidential and you make sure everyone understands that they have
confidentiality with respect to their mail.  At least for non-employees, you
just voided your policy, and you might have voided it for everyone,
depending on how you presented the change.

Make sure that as you develop your policies and you get legal advice on them
that you tell you lawyers everything.  If you get advice from a lawyer but
did not let them know all of the circumstances, then their advice is not
going to cover your behavior, is it?