As was pointed out elsewhere you really need to check with an attorney in
the applicable state (sounds like Maryland in this case).

Generally speaking I believe the key phrase is "expectation of privacy."
Merely saying that the e-mail is for business use only is probably not going
to be sufficient unless it also says that the company reserves the right to
review it at any time.

The company might argue "it's our property; enforcement of policy, etc." but
if the court decides that the employee had a reasonable expectation of
privacy the company will probably lose.

The company should clearly state in their employment manual that the e-mail
may be subject to review AND have each employee initial that specific page
(if not that passage) indicating that they have read and understand it.
Ideally, anyhow.

Since you were just curious for opinions and not actually planning to offer
them legal advice...

Speaking of which, here's the disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this is
not legal advice; just my educated opinion. No attorney-client relationship
has been established between anybody and Damon Key by means of this
conversation; it's just a bunch of geeks (or nerds, if you prefer) trading
opinions.

I only work for attorneys, don't hold that against me.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-Outlook, CNA, MCPx3
Director of Information Services
Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert