From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf
Of Exchange
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 9:09 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Clustering Exchange

Hmmm...So everyone likes to cut down clustering. I
don't fully agree.

I have worked with it tons, both on the 5.5 and 2000
platforms. It is
more complex, more things can go wrong, many times
'the clustering part
of it' lags behind the other parts of the program,
third party products
aren't always cluster aware and therefore can cause
problems, human
error is much more common because people aren't
sufficiently trained on
it, etc.

But, if you educate yourself on the technology, work
with 3rd parties
that do consider clustering, etc. it is possible to,
first and foremost,
have less planned downtime. That really is one of
clustering's major
benefits. You can deploy service packs, etc. on the
passive nodes while
the active one is still running, and effectively cut a
1/2 hour downtime
situation to 2 minutes (if everything goes well ;-) ).

Also, if the hardware, OS, or a service, goes South on
a system,
failovers happen quite gracefully (given you're up to
date on service
packs) and you will have the service back up faster
than if you weren't
clustered. I've had systems with 5,000 users on them
failover with
minimal reports to the customers help desk...it does
work.

If you're in an environment that has people who know
what they're doing,
and the decision makers above are willing to spend the
money for adding
possibly another 9, clustering can help. If you are
new to the
technology, let others do it - your stand alone server
will run just
fine and will be easier for you to maintain.

If you do go with clustering: Don't do active/active
clusters, and don't
forget that the single point of failure is your
SAN/external disks -
clustering won't save you from database corruption or
external disk
failure.

In your situation it certainly sounds like not
clustering is the right
thing to do. I just wanted to defend the technology a
bit, because I
feel given the right circumstances, it performs as
advertised.

'Hope it helps,

Per Farny
Senior Network Architect