Why would you put your Exch server in a DMZ?

-----Original Message-----
From: MJN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 5:20 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: OT - BlackBerry Enterprise Server

We've had MAJOR problems!  We are running Exchange 2000 Sp1 on Win2k SP2.
Our Exchange Server sits in the DMZ.

We are running BES on a regular Win2K pro machine sitting Nat'd behind our
corporate network.

We piloted the software because our CEO wanted to deploy it company wide and
it worked fine when we had just him on it. We added 3 more people and the
server started getting "hung worker threads" every 4-6 hours, which
effectively stopped the server from doing its job (all blackberries stopped
working) and required a reboot.

I've been in constant contact with RIM tech support about this and we've
already ruled out any firewalling issues or config issues.  The frustrating
part is they ask me to change or patch this and that almost once a day and
it never helps.  The users are getting ticked and they are all 24x7 people
so Im getting calls at home to reboot the BES server...Bottom line is, its a
bug in their stuff.

They gave me a (beta) Service Pack 3 for the BES software to apply yesterday
and it seemed to stay up longer than before.  I noticed this morning that
the server was writing "blocked worker thread" errors to the app event log
AGAIN.  PLUS, their SP3 introduced a new problem -- all blackberry users
defined on the BES server now receive TWO calendar appointment items In
Outlook whenever someone sends a meeting request to them.

We're about to throw the whole pile of software and handhelds out the window
unless RIM coughs up a fix and FAST!

Michael Natale