Compaq Computer Corporation

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Soysal, Serdar
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 7:53 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Any Best Practices using the Mailbox Manager in Exchange
5.5.

Ed's right.  Your policy is useless unless you:

1. Ban PST usage in your company with a policy signed by your CEO, CIO
etc. 2. Modify your default Outlook setup to not have PST files
available as a service. 3. Delete all PST files from your file servers
(by delete I mean move to a location where they're inaccessible by
ordinary users and you can keep them there for a while in case someone
screams) 4. Delete all PST files from desktops.

As far as Mailbox Manager goes, it'll run just fine during virus
scanning or online maintenance.  I would try to avoid running it during
backups.

If you're going to touch the entire mailbox, you also want to make sure
that you run the latest version of mailbox manager.  Earlier versions
really messed up recurring appointments in calendar folder.

I would make sure you don't run it against Tasks, Calendar and Contacts.
You also want to add IPM.Contact, IPM.Task and IPM.Appointment as
excluded message classes just in case a use created a subfolder that
contains contact, task or calendar items.

S.