We had a similar problem last week - we could receive mail from anybody and
send mail to most domains, but there were a number of domains we couldn't.
Our problem turned out to be a black hole router at an upstream provider.

You might check this article for a good lead:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159211

Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-Outlook, CNA, MCPx3