Ed, as usual, is correct.

Depends what the risk is to people making binding commitments via email that
may cost the company $$$.
Email here is considered a public record (as indicated in our email policy).

Emails are easy to create/modify by the other party. Having an audit trail
of mails sent/received may be of value to your company.

I have every email that has gone through the mail gateway for the last 5
years on CD.
This process is automated to the point where 18 months worth of detail in
held in an oracle Db and the only human intervention is to write the monthly
data on to CD's

This may assist us in any litigation issues, and as a public company, we
have nothing to hide.

We keep archive tapes back to '89, when we arose from the ashes of about 30
public sector organisations

I have has cases of senior managers needing e-mails from up to a year old
that they had inadvertently deleted ( or told the other party they never
received it)

Our litigation processes here are not quickly and extensively used here in
NZ, unlike *other* countries.....

cheers
Dean