like i was saying from the beginning of this discussion arcserve is not the way to go
for exchange backups but still did you guys have the exchange agent installed for
arcserver if you did not arcserve will skip the priv.edb as it is in use.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Kuhl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 10:41 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Veritas Netbackup error on MSX 5.5

<Obviously you haven't yet attempted recovering your server with your
<fabulous blbackup

I found this all very interesting and confusing.  Recently I had made some
sarcastic remarks in frustration after a consultant had exported to a .pst
and not all the email would come back. We tried to restore the information
store from Arcserve 2000 and it had skipped the priv.edb file, but no error
appears in the log file. I have had no training in Exchange, we had hired
one company (a large one to setup the system originally) and another after
email became corrupted (a local company).

We are still trying to get Arcserve to backup the priv.edb, the consultant
thought he found the problem with the Exchange Client setup, but it did not
solve the problem.

So, I shut down services and copied a priv.edb to recover on another server.
Lot of work the first time and he couldn't get Exmerge to work, but was able
to recover most mailboxes through Exchange.

The one user we couldn't recover, always has problems with everything, and
always tells me how lame Microsoft is (must be bad karma).

We are going to Veritas and Exchange 2000, so I am want to learn all I can
to avoid previous problems.

Bill Kuhl