OK.  I've applied SP3, and tried some more reconfiguration.

I've set my internal DNS server to use forwarders, and filled in the DNS
servers of the worldnet.  Testing with NSLOOKUP confirms I have a good name
resolution for any domain.

I then changed my E2K configuration - I've deleted all references to smart
hosts and set for direct delivery using DNS.  I provided both my internal
server and the external servers.  I've also changed the access subnets to
only be my internal network (since this server is not intended to receive
mail from the internet, only send).

I tried it both with and without a SMTP connector - still no go.  BTW - do I
actually need a SMTP connector?  If I'm only supporting one domain in this
configuration, isn't the virtual server enough?

Any other ideas on what could be wrong with my config?  Any attempt to send
internet e-mail results in failed delivery notifications.