From: Michael Anderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 3:29 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange 5.5 upgrade to 2000 on different domains (helpl!)

Hello,

This weekend, we have to accomplish a pretty serious task - upgrading a
Exchange 5.5 Server on one Domain, and somehow convert/migrate it to
Exchange 2000 on another domain.

What would be the best way to attack this problem?  Create a Trust
Relationship so the 2 domains can talk to each other first?  -or-
Temporarily have the 5.5 Server (or vice versa) join the other Domain
temporarily?  I think that may break the server however - because the Admin
Authentication would get screwed up as the service starts using the Domain
Administrator login account right?  I need a bulletproof way to accomplish
this task, as there is no room for screw ups right now.

One thing in our favor, is that we are not upgrading the server itself - so
the original data files will always be intact - with no chance of
corruption.  But still my Monday, we have to have all the users moved over
to the new domain, and working off of Exchange 2000.

If the experts on the list could jump in briefly, and offer some really good
advice on this topic, I would greatly be in your debt.  Thank you in advance
for any help you can offer to me.

Mike -