From: Dennis Depp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 3:15 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Views on Exchange Active Active clustering

I've looked into Exchange Active/Passive clustering for our Exchange
2000 servers.  The largest Exchange problem that causes downtime is
corruption in the database.  I agree with Ed that clustering cannot help
in this senario.  However, even with high quality hardware, you still
have to deal with the 58 security patches and one Windows 2000 service
pack that have been issued this year.  Granted not all the 58 security
patches are Windows 2000 related, but a large number of them are.  An
active/passive cluster gives me the capability of installing hotfixes
and service packs without impacting my Exchange server even for a
reboot.  Also I can install the hotfixes during the day on the passive
node and then failover that evening.  If there is a problem, I can fail
back to the unpatched node.  The reduction in reboots and late hours
makes an Active/passive cluster very appealing.  However, clusters do
add a level of complexity.  Unless you understand clusters and how they
operate, this added complexity can decrease uptime instead of increase
it.

Denny