Do you have the ports open?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Dubyn [mailto:jdubyn@;optonline.net]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 3:47 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Troubleshooting POP3 Access to a Front-End server in a DMZ

Having trouble getting POP3 access to work using Front-End server in a
DMZ.

Here's the environment:

PIX firewall>DMZ that houses a Front-End Exchange SP3 server>PIX
Firewall>Local LAN with Back-End Exchange SP3 server.

Originally, POP3 was setup on the Back-End server and is presently
functioning perfectly.  In order to secure the environment, we are
testing a
Front-End server to offload and secure that functionality.

When a POP3 account is inside the firewall or on the DMZ, there is no
problem with connectivity.  Unfortunately, when it is on the Internet,
email times out with the following error:

"The connection to the server has failed.  Account "ACCOUNT", Server:
"SERVER", Protocol:SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL); NO, Socket Error: 10061,
error Number 0x800CCCoE"

We have disabled Anonymous logon and are using Windows Authentication
for
POP3 clients on the Exchange server(s).

We cannot seem to find why it works from the inside and not from the
outside.

We've been using a number of different documents for reference,
including:

Q278339 - TCP/UDP Ports Used By Exchange 2000 Server
Q278339 - Exchange 2000 Windows 2000 Connectivity Through Firewalls
Exchange 2000 Deployment Guide (Chapter 6)
E2KFrontBack.doc

but cannot find a definitive answer.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot why POP3 is not working for the
machines on the Internet?

Thanks!