You've hit the major players. The entire email hosting business has pretty
much flopped and consolidated. Critical Path handed over its hosted
corporate messaging services to HP. United Messaging was acquired by
Agilera. Commtouch sold its hosted Exchange business to TeleComputing.

USA.NET and Mi8 are still hanging in there, for now. But this entire
market space has just been decimated of late. I still think that the
business case is there for outsourced messaging, but apparently not enough
people have the same attitude that I do.

Anyone else care to comment on why they think that this market space has
flopped? One would think that in a time of economic hardship, companies
would really be looking to outsource anything and everything they can in
order to lower costs. If outsourced corporate messaging can't make it in
today's economy, I have serious doubts that it will ever make it. But the
question is why? Outsourced messaging holds the promise of lower costs,
flexibility and the ability to focus on one's core business. In addition,
many of the outsourced providers can put together systems that have a mix
of high-end and low-end mailbox services that are all tied together as a
single system. This means that companies can have Exchange mailboxes for
those that need it and low-cost IMAP/POP mailboxes for everyone else and
the outsourcer ties it all together to look like a single email system. So
why did this market fail?