It depends on what types of business are being conducted via e-mail. If, for
example, your human resources department uses e-mail to communicate about
hirings and firings, then certain Federal age discrimination statutes might
apply to those communications and your company would be obligated to keep
those communications for a period of > 1 year.

If your company does creative designs and files patents to protect certain
apparel designs, intellectual property communications surrounding those
designs/patents may need to be retained indefinitely.