I think that the big piece that is being missed in all of this is
Microsoft's licensing of Exchange for hosting companies versus businesses.
What Microsoft did with its licensing is nothing short of criminal in my
opinion. What Microsoft did was allow hosting providers to only may very
minimal fees for POP/IMAP/HTTP mailbox licenses. They have never offered
such a deal to businesses, for a business whether you access an Exchange
mailbox via POP, IMAP, HTTP or MAPI (CDO) you have to pay full price for
you Exchange CAL. Someone show me where this is just not a blatant
rip-off.

Microsoft was forced to do this because of the high level of competition
in the hosted email environment from POP/IMAP/HTTP email software
products. And this theorectically offered some significant advantages to
outsourced Exchange because if the company only need full-featured
Exchange mailboxes for a sub-set of their employees, they could save
significant licensing dollars by having it hosted and only paying
POP/IMAP/HTTP license dollars for mailboxes that did not require the full
features of Exchange, but all of those mailboxes would exist on a single
Exchange system. If they tried to do this in-house, they would have to pay
full Exchange CAL's for all of their mailboxes, regardless of the method
of access.

Again, my opinion of this is that it is nothing short of criminal action
on the part of Microsoft to gouge corporations.