hp Services

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Karon Miller
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 7:34 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Backing up Exchange 5.5

We're trying to backup one in particular Exchange 5.5 server and we keep
getting tons of "corrupt file" errors and we're told that we have a
corrupt database.  We use Veritas Backup Exec 8.6, we have an Outlook
2002 client loaded on the server because yes, we're doing brick level
backups.
We cannot get the online defrag to run it runs for a few minutes and
then terminates I don't think it's really doing anything because it
would take longer if it was.  Is there a way to force an online defrag?
I have tried over and over to convince my management to NOT do
bricklevel backups but to no avail.  So, since I'm forced to do them we
need a better way to do them if there is a better way.  We only back up
the IS once a week if that and we've never backed up the pub.edb and
priv.edb because you have to stop the services to truly back those files
up.  I've also tried to convince them to let us take it offline to
perform offline defrags which will create new clean databases but in
order to do so I'm told it will delete alot of messages any message that
it thinks is corrupt and so they don't want to do that.  This server is
hanging on by a thread.  Please help with any suggestions that you have
other than "Don't do bricklevel backups".

So, is there anything we can do other than rebuilding this server?  How
do you backup the pub and priv without shutting down the services?  We
do not use the open file agent it's don't work and never has.

Thanks,
Karon Miller
E-Mail Administrator
Blackwell Sanders Peper Martin, LLP [EMAIL PROTECTED]