Seems to me you asked these Q's long ago...but here's what I might do.

1.) The Open File agent - Will NOT work its not meant to for this
2.) You must have the exchange agent (which if your attempting BLB's you
must have)
3.) Turn off the BLB
4.) Do a normal Backup in BE8.6 without BLB but all other exchange
checked..it should run ok
5.) If I need BLB type stuff I would use Exmerge, write the INI file to do
ALL the mailboxes and be sure I had enough HD space for all this
stuff/pst's.
6.) After having these good backups...etc... I would use Ed's Server move
method....(which worked excellent and saved my butt)
7.) On the new server I would never use BLB in the BE8.6...sorry but it has
never work reliably for ME... plus the reinforcement from those on this list
with more exchange experience then me, confirms BLB=bad it's not what its
cracked up to be...great idea..poor execution...
8.) If I continued to have short sited attorneys..etc...I would do the
exmerge thing and NOT the BLB's
thus I would have a good backup and my semi instant details in a PST,
schedule this script one way or another..
9.) Go out have a beer or sip some port...

2 cents, my way/opinion
 bill