From: Etts, Russell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 10:44 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Clustering Exchange

Oh Boy

(Time to get on my soap box)...

Reasons not to have an exchange cluster:

Clustering is generally expensive
Clustering is more complex than two servers
Front end\ Back end configurations are more complicated
Exchange cluster nodes cannot be domain controllers
Exchange cluster nodes cannot be global catalog servers
Clusters cannot support the SRS service
Clustering will not save you in the event of a hardware failure leading to a
-1018 error and corrupting your mailbox store.

Reasons to cluster exchange:

Looks good on your resume

Trust me... I have a cluster.  Exchange 2000 is complex enough.  Why would
you want to introduce a cluster and complicate your environment even more?

(Off soap box)

HTH

Russell

"Friends don't let friends cluster exchange"