Thanks for the clarification Ed. My apologies for short-changing the
process.

Move server between Administrative Groups = ...
1. Move users off of server and onto other servers or onto temporary
server
2. Rehome Schedule+ Free/Busy Information public folder
3. Remove server
4. Remove administrative group
5. Reinstall server into other administrative group
6. Move users back to server

If you are using existing servers to move the users to temporarily, you
can keep them separated by putting them in their own Storage Group/Mailbox
Stores. This is an easy way to keep them separated out. Also note that
after the move, users will have to republish their free/busy time by
logging in with a mail client.

Why Microsoft continues to place arbitrary boundaries such as moving
servers between Administrative Groups is anyone's guess. An Exchange
server's DN is partially composed of the AG name and deep down in the
bowels of Exchange, this means something. This is exactly equivalent to
Sites in Exchange 5.5. So Microsoft learned its lesson and did not make
sites or AG's part of the mailbox DN and therefore moving them between
AG's is very simple but then they turn around and make the same stupid
mistake with servers??? Idiots. And it is made even worse because they did
it correctly with Routing Groups!! Here's a concept, make AG's a property
of a server, just like RG's. Wow!

One of these days, Microsoft will prove to the world that they can
architect their way out of a paper bag. It will probably be long after I
am dead, but I have confidence that it will happen eventually.