Maybe you can try to convene a meeting with him and the links in between?
Or maybe you can present your idea to your boss and make it seem like it was
his idea. ("Hey boss, do you think it would work if we put all those
graphics files on an secured web page that our remote users could just
synchronize in the off hours?")  Then he can be a hero without having to do
any actual thinking. :)

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-Outlook, CNA, MCPx3
Director of Information Services