Hey.

We have multiple small exchange servers that do their backups to recovery servers that
have several mirrored drives so no single production server has any of its backups on
the same drive mirror.  With our database size limit we have one recovery server for
every three mail servers. In addition we have at least one "hot spare" mail server.

When there is an outage we note which folks are affected and then recreate their (now
empty) mailboxes on the recovery server to get them back into email.  We then Exmerge
the backed-up mail out of the backups into the new mailboxes.  Some tlog juggling has
to be done in order to recover all mail, but it is fairly strait forward.

Each of our servers costs ~6K using "off the shelf" components. We learned the value
of lots of small servers when our Dell PowerEdge equipment crapped out on us
repeatedly early last year.

You could probably do this with  three servers, then.  One for production, one for
recovery/backups and one hot spare.  Under your limit, though?  Well, I guess that
would depend on your shopping ability and the components you choose.

John

John W. Luther
Systems Administrator
Computing and Information Services