Good advertisement to not use Dell.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edgington, Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 9:41 PM
Subject: RE: Exchange 2000 Recovery

I'm the poor schmuck that became VERY practiced at doing recoveries in
this domain.  We were initially told to move from three E5.5 servers to
1 clustered Dell SAN.  My first comment was 'what if this unbreakable
setup breaks in a way that the diagnostics on the SAN doesn't detect a
problem... I'll end up with 8700 people without e-mail'... I was told
"that can't happen"... well, it did... I did at least 6 recoveries in a
12 month span with 2 being all 8700 mailboxes and the others being 4300
each time.  This FINALLY convinced the people with money that this
wasn't a smart strategy and they finally allowed me to move back to the
'many small servers' approach that I prefer... yes, I take a hit on SIS
(8700 mailboxes on currently 6 production servers... I'm backing up
200GB nightly.. full backups)... since our move back to off-the-shelf
(but MS HCL hardware) servers, we've had no outages.  Those in our org
that are still using the Dell/Cluster approach continue to experience
constant problems.

John is a little off with his description... this is our current
approach and it seems to work very well in my test restores.  (this was
developed during my nightmare, er experience with the recoveries of last
year).

We keep an offline restore domain that contains our recovery servers...
these same servers are the target for my backups of the production
servers... this way in the case of a restore I am running the restore
from the local drive on the recovery server as opposed to over the
network or from tape (we backup to files on hard drive).  We also dump
VIP mailboxes to PST files nightly (perl script that uses exmerge... 93
mailboxes)

Restore steps with our config... this is based on a couple MS
whitepapers... I can dig them up if anyone is interested (don't remember
the titles)

1.  production db or sg goes down.

2.  determine if the db/sg can be remounted without data loss... if not,
continue.

3.  copy production TLOGS to a safe location on the recovery server for
that production server.

4.  reset the dbs on the production server so that the people on these
dbs now at least have mail service back (empty mailboxes)

5.  Start restore of dbs on the recovery server.  (making sure not to
checkmark 'last backup' or 'mount db'... start exmerge of VIP mailboxes
back into the reset mailboxes on the production server.

6.  Once the restore completes, copy the production TLOGS into the
templog dir and run eseutil /cc against the location that has the
restore.env file (templog location).... this now gets your restored db
back to the point in time just before the crash.

7.  Mount the restored db on the recovery server to make sure all is
well... if so, dismount and copy this restored db back to the production
server as a different name (priv1.edb.rst for example)

8.  Once all restored dbs are copied to the production server, dismount
the reset dbs and rename them.  (mark them for overwrite)... now rename
the restored dbs back to their original names.

9.  Mount the restored dbs on the production server.. your users now
have their original mailboxes (rules, permissions and all) but are
missing the mail that delivered in the time between (4) and (9).

10.  Copy the reset dbs to the recovery server and mount them there.

11. Exmerge out the last 24 hours of the mailboxes on the reset dbs
(that are now on the recovery server).

12.  Exmerge the PSTs from (11) back into the production servers....
recovery complete.

jeff e.