I always specify the full domain/id/alias in POP3 and IMAP even if the nt_id
and mailbox alias match. I've found it impossible to train help desk monkeys
in exceptions. They understand "I before E" just fine, but throw in the
conditional "except after C" or heaven forbid "and sometimes Y" and suddenly
cats and dogs are living together, the sky is on fire and Hanji has asked an
intelligent question.

%username% just helps with name resolution right, there are a number of
attributes which can be used for name resolution and you could populate one
of those with the same information. But, I don't argue with such things
normally, if $way is the way I want to do things and I have what I feel is a
good reason to do it, I generally just do it. I don't get caught up in minor
implementation details with customers where it doesn't have any real effect
on the final product they are getting.