From: Greg Deckler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 10:50 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Shortcuts to Outlook objects

So, you are going to tell me that you have never received any sort of
compensation at all for being an MVP. I am talking T-Shirts, plastic toys,
anything and even the TITLE of MVP. If you receive ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION,
it is a conflict of interest. Plain and simple. Ask any lawyer if they are
allowed to accept ANYTHING for free. The answer is absolutely not.

In IT, it is a different story and the difference is because IT is a trade
and lawyers are professionals. As long as we in IT continue to operate in
this mode, we will be seen as trades-people, the air-conditioning repair guy
or plumber, not professionals.

The MVP program is a horrible, horrible insidious device that will help keep
IT at the trade level. Plus, once you accept the title, you are now the
property of the vendor. You will consciously or unconsciously have a bias
toward that vendor and keeping that title. This means that you will not
"tell it like it is" in public and instead voice concerns in private to your
vendor.

If you all want to be trades-people instead of professionals, then keep on
with your MVP program. I tend to believe that the entire IT industry is
irrevocably broken. Compare it to engineers, lawyers and other professionals
and it does not stack up well. And that is sad, because we could be
professional, but we have no ethics.