Does anyone know of an Exchange 5.5 message tracking FAQ?

I'd like a short rundown on what I should be able to monitor when I don't
have a specific message ID to track.

When I have a message ID I can use "advanced" and track the flow of the
message on each server, however if I don't have a specific message ID I'm
not 100% sure what I should be seeing.

For example, on my new connector server using "advanced tracking" I can
track messages transferred in through the IMS either to everyone (no
specific recipient), or to a specific recipient.

If I do a normal (not advanced) search of all messages sent to my mailbox
nothing shows up running the track on my connector only server, and running
it on my mailbox server shows only messages from internal recipients, except
for two external emails I sent myself that I put delivery receipts on.

Message tracking is enabled at the site config on the IS and MTA site
defaults and on the IMS, and the services have all been restarted - the
tracking.log share exists, and there is info in the logs.

I suspect I'm getting the wrong end of the stick and that the message
tracking utility is really intended to track specific messages where you
have the message ID rather than be an "overview" tool, but I'm finding the
documentation isn't overly clear.

TIA for any info/links,
Paul