Ed Crowley MCSE+I MVP

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Woods, Tony
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 3:23 PM
To: Exchange Discussions

Hello,

NT 4 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP4. Domain in question is DFG.com

I've just taken over a site's Exchange server and have noticed something
strange. It's been sometime since I had to play with Exchange this deep but
the Queues on my IMS keep filling up with 1000's of emails. We're not an
Open Relay that I can tell (I've tested) but there's just a ton of 'Outbound
Message Awaiting Delivery' with originator <> and Destination Host of
different .com's. There is a ton of Inbound Mail Failures in the 'Admin'
mailbox for delivery failures as well. My three questions are:

1) Are these messages that are trying to relay but failing?

2) If so, are they just going to sit in the Queue for the default time?

3) For the Inbound Mail Failures,  a lot of them are going to bogus
addresses like [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] Where are these all coming
from?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tony