Windows 2000 SP3

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Blackstone [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 10:53 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Exchange 5.5 OWA hangs, cannot stop/restart IIS question

What Windows SP?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pfefferkorn, Pete (pfeffepe) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 7:47 AM
To: Exchange Discussions

Sorry if this comes in a second time.  Tried posting and it didn't come
through...sending as plain text this time.

Exchange 5.5 SP4 on 2000 Server running OWA IIS 5.0.  Have current security
patches.  Check version of CDO.DLL version 5.5.2655.79 CDOHTLM.DLL
5.5.2655.77 which seems to be current.

Been battling with our OWA server for the last week or so.  For no reason
that I can determine, OWA just stops responding.  It looks as if its trying
to bring up the LOGON.ASP page but nothing displays and it just hangs.  If
you go in the services control panel and try to stop the World Wide
Publishing Service it sits and eventually you get an error:

"1053 service did not respond to a start or control request in a timely
manner".

Then if you try and kill the task manager and try and kill inetinfo.exe
service you get a message:

"could not stop IIS Admin Service on local computer, access denied"

The only recourse I have is to reboot the bloody system to get it back up.
I've looked at the logs and do not see anything unusual.  Nothing in the
event logs either.  Really weird!  This happened a few months back and then
it suddenly cleared up.  Before I call MS I though I would run it by the
Exchange Listserv to see if anyone else has encountered this problem.