Pete,
I had it running on my 5.5 box on NT 4.0 with no problems.  I recently
bought a sweet new box (thanks Dell) and began the server move (thanks
ed).  For some reason Groupshield doesn't play well with permissions and
the service accounts on Windows 2000.  I guess until you run into a
specific problem, your managment team won't be too eager to spend the
dough on a better product.  Good luck.