On the subject of migration tool investment by the vendors, migration
tools are considered a marketing expense.  You build free tools when
you're trying to quickly gain market share from your competitors.  Once
you have the market share, there's less need since the prospective
customers will want to move to your product for many other reasons.  You
also face an increasing competition for the development dollars.  On day
one, /all/ the customers want migration tools.  On day 1000, <2% want
migration tools and >98% want some other feature.

I'm not apologizing for Microsoft's lack of updated tools - in fact
their consistency on this has been quite good for my company.  They
never did do an HP OpenMail to Exchange or Steltor/Netscape Calendar to
Exchange tool, so the ones we did are still viable products.

In terms of cost, $1200 for 700 users seems pretty cheap compared to the
number of hours spent looking for a solution.  Migration tools are
rarely cheap from third parties because they're generally expensive to
maintain and support and because the third parties don't have the
Exchange/Outlook/Windows revenue to shore up the bottom line.  Compared
to the total cost of the project, $1200 is probably a drop in the
bucket.  Compared to having to abandon the data, I suspect $1200 is
infinitesimal.

Creating Outlook personal DLs is a pain in the neck.  I know because we
had to implement it in our products.  You can script it using the
Outlook Object Model, but you still have to be careful of the size
limitations of an Outlook DL (125-135 entries depending on entry type
and address size) and handle adding additional nesting if there are too
many for one DL.  There are some examples of using the DistListItem
object at www.outlookcode.com.

Andy

Ps - please add appropriate grains of salt to the validity and
intellectual honesty of this answer.  I have been accused of being an
MVP, which may have compromised my ethics and ability to think for
myself.