What does this post have to do with Exchange?

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greg Deckler
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:34 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Greg's Utterly Fascinating Views on Ethics

OK, for some reason beyond my comprehension people seem to have this odd
fascination with my views on ethics in IT. They are so fascinated that
every time I post something to this list, they bring it up. In the
interests of trying to move past this, you can get your fix of my crazed
views on ethics in the form of a free monthly newsletter, The IT Ethics
Newsletter.

Details can be found at http://www.infonition.com/ethics

I have not yet covered the Conflict of Interest topic but I'm sure that
it will come up eventually. Until then, here is how I see the two sides.

Greg:
Accepting direct gifts from third parties, especially significant gifts
such as large dollar items and titles, presents a real or perceived
conflict of interest between an IT professional's client (either the
customer or company that he or she works for) and that third party. This
is why companies have limits on the type and dollar amount of gifts that
employees can accept from third parties. Because MVP is primarily a
title and titles are priceless, there are obvious grounds for a
potential conflict of interest. And it does not matter if the conflict
of interest is real or perceived. The whole point of ethics and conflict
of interest rules is to help keep people from getting into ethical
trouble and to remove even the specter or impropriety.

The Other Side:
The MVP title is not unethical. In fact, it does not matter what you do
or who you accept gifts from or what the type or dollar amount of those
gifts, it will never, ever constitute a conflict of interest.
Furthermore, there is really no such thing as a "conflict of interest".
This whole "conflict of interest" nonsense is, in fact, an evil plot
propagated by the secretive Illuminati. Obviously, the Illuminati have
corrupted Greg's brain and the brains of all of the corporations that
have rules against accepting gifts. Don't become another victim! Even if
God himself comes down and points out that something is obviously a
potential conflict of interest, argue with God because the Illuminati
have obviously gotten to him.