I'm gonna comment on this one again.  This type of vulnerability should
only be an issue if your Guest account is enabled.  You HAVE to leave
anonymous access on if you want other mail systems to communicate with
you.  If you have POP3 and/or IMAP clients, you must leave the box
checked to "allow all computers which successfully relay...".  I have
never seen a case where the server truly was an open relay with these
settings.

If your configuration was like this, than likely what happened is one of
your accounts was compromised.  Exchange WILL NOT relay with those
settings unless you successfully authenticate, such as you do when you
specify that the outgoing smtp server requires authentication.  Also, if
this is the case, it is NOT a case where you were an open relay, it is a
case where an account was compromised and allowed to relay off the
server.  Configuring user accounts with strong passwords, and
configuring them to lock out after x number of unsuccessful logins
should mitigate any risk of SMTP Auth attacks, aside from a user
revealing their password.

Ben Winzenz
Network Engineer
Gardner & White