From: Shailender Monga <shailender.mo...@gmail.com>
Subject: exghps1988v_v Taliban2009=Sikhs 1980's????
To: exghps1988v_v@googlegroups.com, "Karan Bhandari" <kara...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 6:03 AM

Dear All
Came across this article in yesterday's TOI. Written By Swaminathan S
Anklesaria Aiyar , a respected economist.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Columnists/S-A-Aiyar-Pak-a-needs-Beant-Singh/articleshow/4167078.cms

For those who would not go thru the entire article- the gist is:

1. Taliban hardliners in Pakistan's Swat area are behaving the same way as the
Bhindrawale led Sikh militancy in the 80's.There are similarities being drawn
on the lines of religious intolerance of modernisation of people.
2.Swami infers that the reason insurgency grew in both areas was because of
government acceptance of initial years and soft tolerance by fundamental
hardliners within the society.
3.The way to "crush" this is to put liberalsĀ  of the same community against the
militant hardliners. like Gill was made over all in charge of the punjab police
force and he basically made sikh policemen kill sikh militants , same should be
done in pakistan.

Why am I disturbed by the article?

1. Why is it that India can never truly be secular? Why is Hindu militancy more
acceptable by the government than any minority insurgency?

2. Are we as Sikhs truly seen as the Taliban in hiding? that we can behave like
the hardliners ? Have they actually forgotten that we have been as much a part
of the mainstream as ANY other hindu? Right here today, I.P , inspite of
disagreeing with the movie's main theme, is celebrating Slumdog's Win like any
other Indian?

3. Should Sikhs be voting as Sikhs or as Indians? Should we be looking for a
political party which keeps our interests in mind , or should we vote based on
our consicence on what party would be good for the nations growth, or maybe
which candidate deserves to represent our area?

4. Is religion secondĀ  in comparison to economic growth? Do we ( the
minorities) forgive every pain(84, Mumbai riots, christian killings) as long as
the economy is growing at 7% and we are alive and happy?

Would love to hear every view point on this. manipaul, staying out of the
country, you are still involved in its happenings the most...what do you think?

Cheers
Shailender.