Dear Friends,
Hi!

One VERY unfortunate facet of Indian politics is that we have a very immature
electorate. So, while on one hand, Manmohan Singh loses an election in
one of the most
educated and enlightened constituency, i.e. South Delhi, by over
30,000 votes; Phoolan Devi wins from Mirzapur by a margin of 84,476
votes. The firebrand, former Chief Election Commissioner, who
revolutionized the Indian Elections scenario with his innovative
reforms, loses in Gandhinagar.

Hardly anybody judges the candidates going by what exactly is his/her
core. The usual deciding factors are:
his caste/ political party/ how many whisky bottles and sarees have
been distributed/ who my Sarpanch or my Religious Leader says I should
vote for/ how many film and TV actors and Cricket heroes have
addressed their election rallies etc etc.

There are no televised debates, no speeches which tell us about their
personal views about day-to-day issues, no personal details...nothing.
Just "Party Manifestos" which detail their agenda and if any issue
needs to be debated then the party high-ups threaten the MPs with
Official Whips that you either toe the line, or else........

Abhi to hamen bahut door hai jaana,
Ek naye savere ki ore.
Khaderte hue unn jazbaatoN ko
Jo rukawat bann kar saamne hain khadi!