On 10 Jul 2017 04:33, "Irvin Choi" <simdol8...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Exherbo Devs,

Dear Fellow Exherbo Dev,

I would like to propose to replace OpenSSL on Exherbo stages with LibreSSL.
Arguably LibreSSL code is more sane than OpenSSL, and has/had fewer
security vulnerabilities than OpenSSL (https://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/LibreSSL).

Yes, imho there is not much to argue on that. OpenSSL is shit and shit's on
fire.

This will probably cause more build errors, and require bit more patching
to the current packages we have at this moment.

That, however, is a strong argument against your proposal. Keeping the
stage sane & stable is the priority imho.

However, as more users are likely to use LibreSSL than OpenSSL should the
switch occur, it is likely to be resolved sooner than it is now.
Perspective wise, some Exherbo devs and I've been using LibreSSL as default
SSL provider, and it has been mostly working fine, while some packages
needed patch to fix build issue here and there. For the record, VoidLinux
has been using LibreSSL as their default SSL provider, and we will be
likely able to use patches that they use for build errors.

Frankly, there is no fundamental difference between a package set and the
stage tarball other than the fact that it has to be as stable and as
predictable as possible.

That said, I think it makes a bit more sense to make sure we fix everything
before we switch.

That also said, this is not a statement against including patches from
other initiatives. I, for one, have found voidlinux, openwrt and other
similar projects quite useful for musl, libressl and such relatively big
ideas for a brighter future.

Personally I do not see much of reason to keep using OpenSSL other than the
fact the code has been around for longer period of time, therefore possibly
more reliable. However, I generally do not like OpenSSL, especially after
that infamous HeartBleed, and Poodle vulnerability. Right now, uninstalling
OpenSSL and installing LibreSSL to the new Exherbo install is quite painful
– one must compile wget with GNUTLS (or you can manually prefetch all the
packages that needs recompiling), uninstall OpenSSL, install LibreSSL with
lazy options passed to paludis, and run cave fix-linkage. It is my utmost
desire not being need to do that to new Exherbo installs – especially if
there is not much value to keeping OpenSSL around.

I would like to hear what you guys think considering this matter.

Pushing things into the stage tarball is not a way to accelerate the
necessary work for big changes, imho. You may try building an alternative
stage which I'm sure will uncover most of what's necessary to fix and/or
convince someone to help you with that. I am interested in helping but life
would not allow to do it all on my own.

Finally,
Exherbo has a reputation for being stable and quite rightly so.

That's all I care about till I'm done with the installation, security comes
after.

Thanks!

Thank you!