Sorry to reply to myself here, but further info:

I've discovered that if I symlink in the tcl8.6.8 and tk8.6.8 stuff
from prior to upgrading my pkgsrc stack, the exmh keybinding problem
goes away.  I've left the rest of the "new" pkgsrc stack in place.
So something in the tcl/tk 8.6.10 update caused the breakage.

Any insights you tcl/tk aficionados might have would be welcome.

Regards,

Marion