>For some messages, when I reply to the sender quoted, I get an
>unreadable quote in base64, although the initial message contained
>plain text. I have not a complete view under which precise conditions
>this happens, but the latest example was a multi-part message with
>one text/plain and one text/html part. It seems the plain text got
>wrangled into the base64.

So I can't speak to exactly what you're using in terms of how you do
a reply.  My exmh editor is "xterm -e vi", so it pushes the heavy
lifting onto repl (I use a mix of exmh and nmh in practice).  To
this end I use something called "replfilter" which is in the nmh
contrib directory (full disclosure: I wrote it so I have an obvious
bias).  It takes care of decoding the original message and trying to
come up with a reasonable output.  You have to configure it if you
want to use it; read the comments at the top of it if you want to
try it out.

I'm a LITTLE puzzled by Andy's response ... Andy, are you using sedit?
I tried it for a little while but I just have vi commands embedded in my
brain and anything else is just torture for me.

--Ken