Thus said Marc Baaden on Fri, 09 Dec 2022 17:06:07 +0100:

> My EXMH version is 2.8.0.

I'm  still using  2.7.2.  Not sure  if  perhaps a  bug  exists in  later
versions.

> I  am  not  sure  I  understand  how  you  reply,  and  what  shortcut
> <Control-q> corresponds to (I don't seem to have it on my version).

First, I choose a message in the flist pane, then I press <Key-r> (which
is also in the Reply menu) and move my cursor to the body portion of the
reply. Then  I press <Control-q>  which is  defined in the  Bindings for
Sedit and it inserts a decoded version of the message.

The setting is stored in ~/.exmh/exmhsedit:

set sedit(key,quoteMsg) {<Control-c><Control-y> <Control-q>}

Andy