On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:21:14 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove said:

> I woke this morning to exmh having only two folders, "No MTP devices."
> and "No devices.". This is the content of ~/Mail/.folders so I
> removed that file and exmh reset the contents to the same again.

That's.... weird.  Almost like you had a cellphone that wasn't talking
to the machine you're running exmh on.

> nmh finds my folders just fine.  The two odd folders are not reported
> by 'folders' of nmh.

The code in lib/flist.c that builds .folders:

    set bogus [catch {exec folders -all -fast -recurse} raw]
    set raw [split $raw \n]
    if {$bogus} {
        set ix [lsearch -glob $raw "* * *"]

I wonder if there's two 'folders' binaries on the system, one
from nmh and another from some MTP handling package, and
your commandline is picking up the nmh one and exmh is finding
the other.

> What's going on?  I haven't changed exmh nor updated my system in a long
> time, let alone while I was sleeping.

It's quite possible that it's been a loaded gun pointed at your
foot for a while - there's this code:

   } elseif {![info exists flist(allfolders)]||
            [file mtime $flist(cacheFile)] > $flist(cacheFileMtime)} {
        set in [open $flist(cacheFile)]
        set flist(allfolders) [FlistSort [split [read $in] \n]]

which basically means that it will just read in $mhProfile(path)/.folders
unless something has touched it.  But that should end up re-running 'folders',
so if exmh finds the two oddities again it means the 'folders' binary it
ran blew up again....