>But that is as far as I go.  The exmh interpreter is good enough
>that I can tell if I really need to read the message or not.
>If not, I simply don't.   If I think I should read it, I send a
>reply, informing the sender that I cannot read their message.
>If the sender also believes I need to read the message, they
>can send it again in a better format.  If not, then I was mistaken,
>and can simply ignore the message.

I admire your commitment to principle, but ... well, I have a serious
question: do you interact with the modern world at all?  Specifically:
do you ever order anything from an online retailer?

The vast majority of email I get which doesn't render properly in exmh
is not generated by humans, but by some automated system; sometimes it's
marketing materials which I can safely ignore, but a lot of the time it
IS in response to something I've done or ordered (and it almost always
says somewhere something like, "Do not reply to this email, the email
address is not monitored").  I don't particularly love this situation,
but I don't really see an easy way of getting everyone else to change;
it's clear any change has to be done on my end.

--Ken