hmm, recently upgraded a client from Mandrake 6.0 to 6.1 on an AMD system I
had built for him.

The results were.... how shall I say.... interesting

kernel compiling fails in multiple places (it comes with 2.2.13pre)
some of the errors at various points were

- internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11  make [2]

oops just checked my notes, I didn't write down any more of the errors, but I
know there were quite a few of them. I had troubles compiling the kernel on
my box also, but after checking some of the code found it was one of the
choices in the Video4Linux section of xconfig that was causing the problem.

Second Problem, which is the oddest thing I've seen yet!

Okay, using Kde, 2 accounts setup, root and the user account, under user
account,when the client connects to the net, basically everything stops
working....
ie no desktop icons do anything, ditto for the kmenu, can't even startup a
term window, OTOH if you started a program b4 connecting to the net, it will
work, term, netscape etc. If you try a file browser window say from a folder
on the desktop, it pops up, but doesn't display any files and the little
progress wheelie thingy just runs and runs.

Now once you disconnect kppp, all is fine again, so b4 and after ppp
connection all is fine, during connection nothing happens, you might see the
drive lite come on for a split second and Xosview spikes up for just a split
second also, but no further activity.

What makes it really odd is that under root, there is no such problem, and
with a newly created user account, again no problem.

Another thing  noticed is that xosview reports memory at 59 or 60mb of 64,
does this seem normal? I know X is a memory pig, but still....

Lastly, anybody know of an X program to record (rather than just play back)
sounds?

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (pgp enabled)    http://www.pdscc.com