Ranish Partition Manager does support Linux partitions.  I like the text
based boot manager best. It allows you to type the number of the partition
to boot or type zero to go directly into the partition manager.  Pretty easy
to use, also.  Just remember, when resizing a partition, to use the + and -
keys; it's easier that way.  It will copy data from  one partition to
another.  I believe it will boot partitions above the 1024 cyl. line. It has
instructions for booting Win9x and NT above the 1024 cyl. line.

If you're doing an install to a clean hard disk, I recommend downloading
Ranish,
unzipping to a floppy, booting the floppy, and configuring the boot manager
(text based)
in the space right after the Master Boot Record (uses about 500K) which is
usually unused
because all fdisk programs (MS and Linux) like to align partitions on a
cylinder boundary.
After installing the boot manager, you can use Ranish, DiskDrake, or any
other program to
define your Linux partitions.  You won't need lilo at all.

It should be easy enough to investigate now.  I think you will find it very
useful.  And
if you're hard disk is still clean, it won't be so scary to experiment with
it.

Hope this helps,
Bill