On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I saved and printed your message and the next time I decide to abuse myself
> with 7.1 I'll give that a try.  I have reinstalled 7.0 because I got tired
> of not having a working cd...

Well, the IDE CDRW setup should be the same in 7.0. If it's
not working then it's LIKELY a problem with something in
your system -- i.e. an incompatibility with timing or
something like that. From what I"ve read since you brought
this up, Mandrake 7.02 didn't support UDMA/66, so it would
make a LOT of sense that hardware that worked in Mandrake
7.02 won't work in 7.1, at least not at UDMA/66.

Hardware specs are everything, and if the manufacturer
doesn't follow the specs, you're SOL.

As someone else suggested -- ditch the IDE CDRW and get
SCSI. That's what I did -- I went out and bought myself a
SCSI CDRW and it's been pure pleasure to just open up
XCDRoast and tell it where to find the ISO I want to burn
and then let it go. :-)
        John