>From the NEW-TOYS Dept.

It arrived and was placed in the arms of this system
administrator.  i810 Chipset, LCD Screen 64Mb of
SO-DIMM memory, a tiny foortprint and WinNT.

First item was to find a witness to erasing the
NT partitions (they were FOUR 15-bit FATs, no less) on
the 6.4G HDD.  WinNT was never booted so we will be
applying to NEC under EULA for a refund as we return
the unopened CDs and still sealed manual with its
certificate of authenticity.

Now on to Mandrake  7.1

The install went smoothly, normal use, expert mode
(why expert?  I'll get to that)

Everything is in--network is set up and doesn't work
(no security downloads)  and then we have the X server.

No configuration works--Cancel and do not run X at
Startup

Startup--login as root and run Xconfigurator.

Now it works on the test, but sets up in 800x600 in
15-bit color

Well when the graphical login comes it is
640x480--I need three monitors tro accommodate all the
info.  Luckily Alt-click grabs windows anywhere to move
them around.

Networking showed the NIC recognized but "Enabled"
wasn't ticked.  I ticked and quit quit/activatechanges
and lo we had networking light and networking too.

Change X resolution was next--would not accept any sane
combo.

So click on the house-up one level, /etc/X11/XF86Config
change VideoRAM to 8192, and uncomment the line.  By
now, most people would have turned the air blue because
the screen blanks for redisplays if you look at it
crossways....  Very annoying!

quit DrakConf, ctrl-slt-backspace login as root run
DrakConf->Change X Resolution->Show all

NOW we can select 1024x768 in 16 million colors
(actually 16777216) or 4 billion colors 800x600

For some weird reason agpgart.o for the i810 will not
accept 800x600 so we go 1024x768 in 16 bit depth so
netscape doesn't look too crappy.  The 24 bit depth
works but netscape doesn't like it.  THis results in a
steady screen after quitting and another
ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X.

BY golly, count the Powermate 2000 as linux-neutral.
It is a bit of a pain in the posterior to set up but it
does work.

Civileme