Theo Brinkman wrote:

> Congratulations!  Laptops are fun things to install Linux on, aren't
> they.
>
> My Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT has a few strange quirks you have to look
> out for when you install, but nothing quite so picky as your NEC.
>
> Everything goes fine, except that if I pick 800x600 LCD for the display,
> I can only get 640x480 for the resolution, so I cheat and pick a generic
> monitor capable of 1024x768@70Hz (what it will drive on the external VGA
> port), and configure it for 800x600x24 (b&w icons in Netscape don't
> bother me that much, I've actually gotten used to them).
>
> 1.)  Sound isn't configured, so I configure it.
> 2.)  No problems.
> 3.)  Shut the laptop down and take it into work the next day.
> 4.)  Boot up and discover that I've lost my keyboard by the time I get
> to the login prompt. *
> 5.)  Discover that GRUB doesn't just take 'single' appended to the
> commands it sends.
> 6.)  Tell it not to start sound during bootup.
> 7.)  Login as root.
> 8.)  'cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d'
> 9.)  'mv S45pcmcia S98pcmcia'
> 10.) 'reboot'
> 11.) everything works fine.
>
> * Somebody's GOT to fix this one.  I know it has something to do with
> the sound driver, because if I tell it not to start sound during bootup
> I still have the keyboard until I start the sound and return to the
> login prompt.
>
>         - Theo

Yeeks--I don't like the thought of losing the keyboard.  I tested
sound today and it was there.

The NEC PowerMate 2000 is a Desktop with a 15-inch LCD and
everything else built into the base.  No modem.  It comes in
P-III 500 and Celeron 433 (100MHz FSB) flavors for about the same
price.  I found some for about $1000 below list and snapped them
up with available year-end funds.

Color it Linux-UNfriendly.  The user wanted the Corel Linux OS
that came with the WordPerfect Office 2000 instead of the
Mandrake install that I had fun with.  His experience was 3
reboots every 5 minutes and no harm done to the Mandrake already
resident.

Tying Kbd to Sound is a most interesting shortcut.  I'll remember
that one.

Civileme