"Ralph F. De Witt" wrote:

> Hi to all:
>
> I have finally bit the bullet and ordered DSL service. This will be provieded
> by GTE, of course Linux is not supported as a OS, and to make matters worst the
> last time I read the networking man and how to's I ended up haveing to
> reinstall both my Winbloz machine and LInux.  I am using Linux Mandrake 7.1 and
> have all the security updates installed. I am hoping some one can give me the
> info I need to get it installed and set up.  I thank you in advance for your
> help and advice in this matter.
>
>  --
> Ralph F. De Witt
>
> Proud user of Mandrake 7.1 Linux
> Register Linux User
> ICQ #49993234
>
> No Windoze were broken in the making of this Message.

Well, to make matters *_BAD_* there are networking/DSL combo
cards that fit your PCI slot and are software driven with Windows
drivers.

Make sure you have an Ethernet and a crossover cable to an
external DSL modem.  If it is IPairGain, you do NOT need a
crossover--it works strictly as a bridge to the remote
gateway--and you use the same IP on your ethernet that the
gateway uses and the crossover is handled on that end.

If, as is more likely, it is in bridging mode, you need a
crossover cable and to configure for either static IP or dhcp as
spec'd by GTE.

Finally, if it is in routing mode, you will have an IP and a need
to configure the DSL modem to export routes to the LAN(ethernet
side) and to the WAN(twisted-pair phone cable) side.

Whatever you do, do NOT take the "card-based DSL modem".  Make
sure it is an external so you don't get something driven only by
proprietary software.  Remember, if there is a binary-only linux
driver, you then have unaudited and inauditable software INSIDE
the core of your operating system.  Very few of us migrated to
linux for that.

Civileme